To complete this meatless supper, have Italian bread and mesclun salad with pine nuts. End the meal with any type of winter fruit tart from the bakery.
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 4 ounce cans diced green chilies, drained
- 1/4 cup canned salsa verde (tomatillo salsa)
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 16 ounce purchased polenta roll, cut into 18 rounds
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, well drained
- 1 15 ounce can golden hominy, well drained
- 3 cups coarsely grated Monterey Jack cheese (about 10 ounces)
Position rack in middle of oven and preheat to 450∞F. Oil 11x7x2 inch glass baking dish. Mix 1/2 cup cilantro, chilies, salsa verde, garlic, and cumin in medium bowl. Arrange 9 polenta rounds in bottom of dish, spacing evenly. Drizzle 1/4 cup cream over. Top with half of beans, half of hominy, and half of chili mixture. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups cheese. Repeat layering. Cover with foil. Bake 20 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 475∞F; uncover casserole and bake until top is golden brown, about 15 minutes longer. Let stand 5 minutes; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cilantro and serve.
Makes 6 main course servings.