Curried Rice Beans And Vegetable Pilaf
1/3 cup Major Grey's mango chutney
- 2 1/2 cups canned unsalted chicken broth or water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 15 ounce can low salt kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 small orange fleshed sweet potato (yam), peeled, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 10 ounce package frozen chopped collard greens, thawed, squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- Plain nonfat yogurt (optional)
Place chutney in blender. Add broth gradually and puree. Set aside.
Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add bell pepper and garlic and sautÈ 3 minutes. Add rice and curry powder and stir 1 minute. Add beans, potato, greens and currants and stir to blend. Add broth mixture. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until rice and vegetables are tender and liquids are absorbed, about 25 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand covered 10 minutes.
Mound pilaf in large bowl. Serve, passing yogurt separately, if desired.
Serves 4 to 6.
Per serving: calories, 340; fat, 4 g; sodium, 378 mg; cholesterol, 0 mg Bon Appètit